The project is grouped in 4 technical workpackages, plus one creating impact and one management and coordination workpackage. The technical WPs are set up as the following:
- WP 1: Adsorption and reaction effects on surface materials and zero gas standards
- WP 2: Reference Standards to underpin atmospheric monitoring of VOCs
- WP 3: Development of Gas Standards to underpin Indoor Air measurements
- WP 4: Validation of measurement standards and measurement systems
The objectives of WP 1 are:
- Quantitative study of the adsorption and reaction effects of VOCs on surface materials in order to find the best suitable materials and passivation techniques when measuring at trace levels. Tested surfaces include the sampling lines, pressurised vessels, pressure regulators and dilution systems.
- Develop traceable standards for VOC-free zero gas (both air and nitrogen). This objective includes the efficiency of purification technologies in removing VOC impurities at trace level concentrations (ppt).
- Mathematical tools for calculating the uncertainty contribution of adsorption and reaction phenomena in sampling and dilution lines as well as for the gas treatment.
The objectives of WP 2 are:
- Develop traceable, accurate and long term stable gaseous reference standards of key VOCs which play a key role in the chemistry of the atmosphere affecting climate and air quality by a static preparation method. Such standards include oxygenated-VOCs, formaldehyde and monoterpenes.
- Develop traceable and accurate gaseous reference standards of key VOCs which play a key role in the chemistry of the atmosphere affecting climate and air quality by dynamic generation methods. Such standards include oxygenated-VOCs and formaldehyde.
The objectives of WP 3 are:
- Develop reference gas standards for key polar and semi-VOCs for indoor air QA/QC activities.
- Develop constant emitting polymer materials for the quality control of emissions testing procedures (e.g. emission test chamber method).
The objectives of WP 4 are:
- Validate the measurement gas standards developed in WP2 and WP3 by organisation of a comparison among the JRP-Partners.
- Validate measurement systems (sensors and portable devices) commercially available for the measurement of VOCs. The work includes the review of the existing measurement systems, the development of a testing protocol and calibration procedures and the laboratory and field validation. The target VOCs are the aromatics, in particular benzene as it is regulated by law.